Sunday, October 19, 2008

DISCOVERING SASHA


In 1973, when I was 41 years old, I lived on Manhattan's East Side in the section called Murray Hill. At that time I owned a successful package design firm and was involved with creating packages for various cosmetic companies. It was a stressful time in my life and after a long day in the office I liked to walk home and shake off the burdens of the day. One evening I passed by a tiny toy shop on Third Avenue called "dollsandreams" where I saw my first group of Sasha and Gregor dolls cavorting in the window -- one Gregor was even standing on his head. Suddenly I was transported back to my childhood when life was as simple and stress-free as it was for those dolls at play. Every evening after that I made a point of stopping to look at the Sashas playing in the window. After a couple of days I finally went in and met the owners, Yvonne and Bruno. And, I adopted my first Sasha doll -- a brunette Gregor who looked like my son, Adam. Over the weeks and months that followed I adopted many, many more Sasha dolls until the shelves in my studio were filled with them.


These are our stories.