Thursday, October 14, 2010

TED'S TOYS - FELTMAN BROS.

An odd series of events found me designing for Feltman Bros. -- one of the leading infantswear companies of the day. Their outfits were all hand made and embodied all of the heirloom sewing techniques that made their outfits collectible items. The beautiful embroideries, lace inserts, and other details made their techniques perfect for doll clothes.

So I persuaded the owners to introduce a line of fashions for dolls. Each design came in four colors -- traditional white, pale pink, baby chick yellow, and Robin's egg blue. Considering the craftsmanship of each garment, they were reasonably priced.

However, the line was not as successful as we hoped it might be. Today in the world of BJDs they command high prices and I'm sure Sasha's studio dolls would feel quite at home in them. I still make versions of the original line I created back in 1978.