Sunday, June 27, 2010

SCIENCE OF LOVE

Today on CBS SUNDAY MORNING they did a segment on the science of love. Researchers discovered that the sensation of pain could be reduced by the patient holding a loved one's hand or even just looking at a loved one's photograph. Apparently there is a section of the brain that is altered and impacted by the presence of a loved one. And even after they are gone the photos can still inspire that reaction -- with sweet or bittersweet results.
That made me think about Sasha and how just the presence or sight of one makes me smile. And how some of us can be made happy with just one Sasha while others keep adding more and more to their family. Just as in the human world there are only children and those with eight or ten siblings.
Apparently our brains are stimulated by many things including love. Studies have examined the effects of pain and drugs and deprivation and demonstrated how each has triggered brain reaction.
I wonder if our reaction to Sashas could be measured as well. Are we addicted to Sasha or just made happier by the sight of one. I suspect a bit of both. But I don't think any of us will need rehab any time soon.
In the meantime I think I'll keep on enjoying the elusive and mysterious quality of each doll and let my brain be happily stimulated by it.